Pregnancy (or the first trimester at least) is extremely limiting, disruptive and confusing. During the first three months your body takes over and tells you, at times by shouting and at times by stopping everything so that you will listen, what it needs and what it will not accept. As my sister notes, pregnancy is a time of great cleansing. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:
- 2 eggs in the morning will start the day
– a tiny mid morning snack will keep you steady: I’m staying cool with 1 hard boiled egg
– a noon snack is a must: some favorites are baby carrots, cucumbers, radishes, grapefruit, oolong tea
– a small lunch will you sustain you: I’m staying strong with lemon flavored greens (lettuce, spinach, leeks, green beans) and a protein (chicken or salmon work for me) — or just a tasty cup of liquid skimmed from a delicious soup when I can’t take much more; peppermint or another tummy soothing tea
– a mid afternoon snack is a must: some favorites are baby carrots, cucumbers, radishes, seaweed, grapefruit, frozen fruit (bananas or mango)
– small dinners win: salad and a legume (beans or lentils) OR a simple soup; lemon and mineral water
– supplements are great midday or at night: prenatal vitamin, some sort of quality fish type oil, flaxseeds, homemade eggshell calcium powder
– a snack before bed will keep my hunger pangs away through 8am: yogurt and cacao powder OR Mestemacher rye bread; lemon and mineral water.
Exercise! Move! Laugh! Smile! If you can stand the nausea, nothing will hold you back. Move and travel as your heart desires. And forget absolutely everything else.